“SOAP” Bible Study Guide
The SOAP Bible Study method is a simple tool to help individuals or groups of people outline their study of God's word. SOAP is an acronym that sets up the order for your study which includes:
SCRIPTURE (READ THE PASSAGE)
- What do we know about the context of this passage (check out any commentary notes included in your bible or visit https://www.insight.org/resources/bible if you need access to a short intro)?
- As you read, underline words or phrases that stick out to you as important or interesting.
- Likewise, put a ? by anything that doesn’t make sense or you would like to know more about.
OBSERVATION (WHAT DOES IT SAY)
- Share and discuss anything that participants put an underline or put a question mark by.
- What would we say is the main point or purpose of the passage?
- What do we learn from this passage (about God, ourselves, the world, faith, sin, etc)?
- Is there anything stated in this passage that we are invited to reflect on or put into practice?
APPLICATION (WHAT DOES IT MEAN)
- How do you think this passage impacted the life and faith of the original audience or the people in the story (think about the context you noted earlier)?
- Keeping in mind the implications for the original audience, how might this passage be impactful for our life and faith today?
- What next step(s) might God be inviting you to pray about or do this next week in response to what you have discussed today? Write it down as a next step for you to remember.
PRAY (INVITE GOD INTO YOUR NEXT STEPS)
- Spend some time in prayer reflecting on what you learned today and ask God to help you with your next step(s).